Monday 27 February 2012

I'll be there for you...


27.02.12.

Today's #366 photo was taken on the way to school this morning. I was not engaged in some 'crazy driving whilst simultaneously taking photos' stunt; I was in the back of the car as it is my week off and dear friend's turn to drive. This may not seem a big deal to most people, but I relish the week off from being at the wheel. I get to sit in the back with the boy, do some chatting and peek-a-boo games, and generally have some extra Dexter time during our increasingly epic commute.


I have mentioned my lovely lift-share ladies before. They are absolutely brilliant about the working mummy crazy juggling act. One of them has done the Huffle-Shuffle herself for several years, and now juggles the job with a school-age daughter. The other really understands that my sanity and ability to cope with the significant demands of teaching full-time and being mummy to a little 'un, are greatly supported by such intervention.


I left home at eighteen, to come to Brighton and study at The University of Sussex - a decision made solely on the size of Sussex Uni's prospectus and the fact it had deckchairs on the front. Whilst I am fiercely proud of my Northern roots, Brighton is my home now, and so my family remain a couple of hundred miles away. The husband has lived in various far-flung locations during his childhood and his parents now reside in the depths of the Kent countryside. In the absence of a geographically-close blood-family, our 'modern urban family' has been of increasing importance.


The husband and I have a (rightfully) rubbish reputation amongst our friends for actively staying in touch or being at the helm of organising get-togethers. Nevertheless, we are fortunate enough as a little family, to have a brilliant bunch of buddies who have offered invaluable support and friendship.


Whilst you won't find us spending endless hours in pun-tastic coffee shops, strumming guitars along to songs of whiffy felines, we truly feel we have a group of people who will be there for us.


Having a child only seemed to increase this support network, and our NCT classes introduced us to more firm friends whilst Dexter was still cooking away in my tummy.


The boy himself seems to be emerging from his baby's chrysalis and turning into a social butterfly. Only this morning at the Huffle drop-off, I bumped into his little 'girlfriend', Lily. The Huffle ladies had already told me that Lily's favourite word is 'Dexter'. Lily's mummy added to this loveliness by informing me that the only way she gets Lily out of bed in the morning and to nursery is with the promise that she will see Dexter there. The husband will be proud, I thought. He was, and also deadly serious when telling me that he was the only reason I get out of bed in the mornings. Hmmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment