Friday 17 February 2012

Parklife


17.02.12.

Today was a good day. The boy seemed to be back to his usual self - a conclusion I came to largely as a result of a return to less toxic nappies. After a leisurely breakfast of tea (for me) and toast (for both of us), we pootled along to Hove Park with a couple of the NCT ladies and little 'uns.

Our merry troupe attempted an al fresco lunch, but the inclement February weather forced a move indoors to the marginally cosier surroundings of the Hove Park cafe. We like it in there; it's quirky with good coffee, and the jolly colours and retro accessories are enough to distract me from the flagrant apostrophe abuse on their signage. I think we made for an amusing sight as the bubs all sat in their highchairs chomping away on various goodies. Lottie's over-zealous attempts to 'feed' Arthur (via his mouth or his sleeve), were particularly entertaining.

Lunch completed (along with obligatory food carnage on the floor), and of course, the destination of choice was obviously the swings. The mums were determined that they should not miss out on the action, and the three of us attempted to negotiate a sort of giant, adult, see-saw/swing/hangy-thing hybrid, reminiscent of something that may once have featured on the Krypton Factor obstacle course. Dexter, Arthur and Lottie sat in their pushchairs watching their deranged mothers with great bemusement. They then got their turn - on the miniature, cage-like, designed for small children swings of course. Today's #366 picture shows the boy having a lovely time on said swings. This was shortly before Hannah noticed that Dexter was turning an alarming shade of mottled purple and that perhaps his labrador raincoat (as stylish as it is), was not quite adequate protection from the distinctly wintry chill in the air.

This was soon resolved by spending the rest of the afternoon at Hannah's: warming up, tea-slurping, playing, gossiping and CBeebies. I love those sort of half-term days. They feel like a tiny reminder of a glorious maternity leave which now almost feels like it never happened.

Think the boy and I will struggle with the return to the daily grind next week. And I still haven't done my marking...




20 comments:

  1. Funny mummy. Loving reading this. Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lazza! I'm loving writing it. Katy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fave toy was my fashion wheel. Go figure. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! And you have become my fashion guru. x

      Delete
  4. Sh sh sh shoe people was also in the top ten x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about Douglas. Thought something must have been up as I waited very patiently for the update. Hope you are ok. Think Grammy is a big fan of those jumparoo things. Did you watch that programme on crazy mothers last night? Great value if you need cheering up xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely. He was such a great pony. I think I feel most sad that D won't get to know him. Have recorded said programme on crazy mums - Twitter was all of a flutter when it was on, so I look forward to seeing some alternative parenting. x

      Delete
  6. To be honest it's your responsibility to teach him how to dine out. Who needs to cook when they live in Brighton? Start with childcare dinners and move up to Michelin stars via Carluchios x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being in africa recently and seeing the women there raise children in difficult conditions was inspiring. They don't have books, toys, or any of the luxuries we have. They keep their babies close, they play and they love them and the babies all looked perfectly happy to me. I think you have the ingredients right as dexter is very content. I'm not sure we need all the books and methods... Keep it simple. Think about the diet industry. What losing weight comes down to is eat less, exercise more but there is a billion dollar industry out there making it more complicated. Now if I ever decide to get pregnant I know I will be asking to borrow your books, but I will also hopefully keep you and my African ladies in mind as real-life inspirations in motherhood. Yay... My comments almost as long as your posts now :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lazza, what lovely, thoughtful and wise words. The diet industry analogy is a really powerful one. There is something hugely cynical and depressing about parenting as an 'industry' if you think about it too much. I think Western women/mothers have huge amounts to learn from their sisters in other cultures.

      I like your comments: keep them coming. x

      Delete
  8. Oh and to lighten up, I approve of the star cuffs. Magical x

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the names, paddington could have been shortened to paddy and then he might have become confused with a D celeb gypsy. Big brother is responsible for my rather unusual 70s hippy middle name now being as common as muck. Thanks jade goody. I know you named Dexter because you are hoping he grows up to be DJ Dex. It's true. I know your secret. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor you! Get better soon team Wayne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure what I'm more shocked by, that your boy peed up the side of the bath or that he appears to have fashioned a comb over. I know you won't tolerate dreadlocks but isn't this too far down the other end of the hairstyling spectrum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! He's desperate for a haircut - see a previous post on the difficulties of making this happen in Brighton...

      Delete
  12. Bring him to bletchley. We'll soon sort him out. That, or he'll end up looking like Tristan who swears by a bletchley haircut. Apparently geneva just won't do. Sounds like you've had a hectic week. Not surprised you got teary, you must be frazzled. I'll come down soon and give you a treatment xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the top-tip! It may be a tad far for a trim. Week was bonkers. We'd love to see you at some point soon and I could definitely do with your healing hands. xxx

      Delete
  13. teachers learn about G&T??????? (only kidding)

    and all 1 year olds are gifted, naturally!

    gorgeous little boy you've got there :-)

    ReplyDelete